Originally Published in Insight Newsletter Spring 2015
It was the support day of winter break. I was relaxing on my couch at home, anxiously waiting for my pharmacology professors to placard the final grades. Having passed the whole of of my other classes, I was more or less confident that I would moreover pass this course. When the awaited weight arrived, I quickly calculated my degree and, to my dismay, I came up terse. My heart started beating faster, and individual thoughts popped into my head, greatest part along the lines of: Oh, none. I actually didn’t pass pharm. Does this mode I’m not meant to subsist a nurse? I might as well normal drop out of nursing school, at this moment. I worked so hard to gain this grade up this semester, for what reason could I possibly come up destitute? A lot of e-mails were sent audibly, including one to my pharm professors and not the same to the BSN committee chair. I needed to discern if it was actually true that I didn’t passport, and what I could do to straighten the situation.
I was informed through one of the professors that tot~y grades were entered accurately, and that the conclusive grade posted was the final rank. The BSN committee chair informed me that I could retake pharm in the hop semester (this current semester). While I was relieved despite a second chance, I was ~y hopelessly angry at the fact that I couldn’t gorge it the first time, afraid of which my peers would think of me, and scared in quest of my future in nursing school.
As this semester winds downward, I am proud to say that I am at this moment solidly passing the course after a further go-around. If anything, I be in possession of gained a lot from having to study every part of of the material again. I advantage understand the medications covered in the deportment, and I am a lot greater amount of confident on exams in other classes in which medications are mentioned. I have determined to see my failure not for example something that defines me or my conduct as a nursing student, but considered in the state of an opportunity to turn my position toward academia around, and to tend hitherward out stronger.
If you have not failed a course (or, for some, an exam), I will tell you that it is not a gay experience. It hits your GPA, your ideal health, and your ego all at one time. But if you have failed at anything in your nursing denomination career, it is important to last a positive attitude. By reminding yourself that this is a come in contact in your road to being a foster, and not a cliff, you should subsist able to continue on, and learn from the experience. This is not the end, yet try to see it as a unused beginning.
Here are some tips because surviving a failure:
1) Take a faint breeze. It will take a little scrap to sink in. Before you angrily spring composing any emails to your professor(s), conscientious let it sink in for a whit. You will be angry and mar, but this is just your me talking. Don’t let your newly bruised ego be the one talking to your professors.
2) Keep your coolness. Depending on your temperament, you may exist penning rather combative emails. Try and write your email(s) as if you are talking to them confront-to-face. You may Keep Your Head Up . . . . extreme point up actually having to meet by them face-to-face, and it’s beyond all others to keep your composure consistent and quiet.
3) Talk it out. You should definitely essay to communicate with people like your professors to discuss what could have been done more valuable. But it’s also helpful to parley to another trusted faculty member, friends (not righteous nursing friends), family members, a counselor, etc. relating to your general feelings on the indefinite amount. You may be feeling extremely bruise at this point, and you should not be stirred as if you need to stomach alone.
4) Make a plan. Were you overscheduling yourself by extracurricular activities or work? Were you without particularizing disorganized? Did you not take sufficient notes in class? Figure out the kind of didn’t work this semester, and plan on changing things for next semester. This is in what place #3 is also important. Maybe you cannot comprehend that you are overstretching yourself, or that you were spending time on Pinterest when you should desire been paying attention in class.
5) Think encircling the goal. This has really helped me. It has in like manner made me more motivated, and effectuate that I want to be a foment more than anything. Nothing will come to a stand me from graduating and taking my NCLEX exam.
Keep your chief up, work hard, and I pledge you that this is not the close. And though it may seem like the close of the world, you will have ~ing successful.
Pictures from the Huffington Post, Duquesne University, and Wikipedia
White House and recall this pile of crap called ObamaCare, it’s time to stir to a patient-owned model of health insurance and de-couple it from employing all together.